Thursday, May 3, 2018

1865 Blog-Orlin Kist (Sloan Miers)

My Dearest Cornelia,

I regret to inform you that the Confederate army has surrendered. After Richmond fell to the north the moral of the entire army was extremely low. After Richmond there ended up being another battle at Saylor's Creek but 1/3 of Lee's troops surrendered and many people were captured including his own son. We had no chance of reinforcements and we were very low on supplies. We were running out of options. Lee had to send a letter of request to surrender. I had the honor of being one of the few that got to accompany Lee into Wilmer McLean's household. I will tell you, the mood in that house change so quickly. Hate grew into respect for one another. It was absolutely astonishing. After Lee and Grant agreed on terms of the surrender I walked out of that house with my head hung low. I returned to the camp were I am writing you this letter. I miss you and will be returning home soon.
Sincerely,
Orlin

No comments:

Post a Comment