Sunday, April 8, 2018

1861 blog- Fitzhugh Pettigrew

Not too long ago we had a major battle near Manassas. Our generals were alerted that the Union army of 37000 was marching to Richmond. My regiment was ordered to go fight them and stop them from reaching Richmond. There was a total of about 22000 men to stop the Union. I could see picnics to the side of the battle. I was on the right side when the left side broke in. After 2 hours I saw some of the Union troops picking up rock like the war was over. I heard a battle cry that startled me but then I realized it was back up. After that, I could barely see through the smoke the while Union army running away. When we won the battle I was glad that none of my sons died. The word spread that the hero of the battle was General “ Stonewall” Jackson for staring death right in the eye. We had a little less than 2000 casualties. And the Union had a little less than 3000 casualties. I was so happy that i survived another day at war so I can see my family again after the C.S.A. wins the war.

From-Fitzhugh Johnston Pettigrew

No comments:

Post a Comment