Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Soldier Enlistment - William Matthews (Rayne)

Soldier Enlistment

I am William Matthews. I am a young man of just twenty-three years of age with two older brothers, Jacques and Dean, a younger sister named Mary, and my father. My mother died shortly after the birth of my dear sister, and she will forever be missed. Born into wealth, my family and I have many acclaims to fame. As part of the Southern aristocracy, my family has worked with many prominent Southern leaders. My family, excluding my brothers and I, have worked as a host at my father's opulent, prestigious inn, named the Golden Nugget. I studied cooking in Paris, France, so my taste is very refined, and I hold everything I do to the highest standard in all aspects of life. I am a hard worker and a solid citizen to the best degree. Personally, I am uncertain about slavery. I do not own any slaves, nor does my father, so I have to admit that I am not rather impassioned in this egregious war. I understand the necessity of slaves for our overall economy and benefit, but sometimes I do start to wonder about the morals of slavery. In this war, my stance is unclear at the moment, but as the vigorous, flourishing man I am, I will continue to work faithfully for my people of the South.


William Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment