Sunday, April 22, 2018

1863 Blog- William Matthews (Rayne)

Dear Father,
How is the Golden Nugget doing? I know times are tough, but I hope business is still thriving without my brilliant cooking. I miss you and Mary (my sister). Check up on her for me, will you? In the Confederate army, I have not been able to do much cooking, so I hope my skills won't deteriorate over time. Obviously, there is more at hand than just my selfish desires. Our last major battle did not go so well. The battle of Gettysburg lasted three whole days, and one of my dearest friends died. His name was Alexander Miller. He was one of the only things the made me hold my head high in this abominable war. The casualties are racking up. I heard from a passing by general that the casualties reached a staggering number. He said 51,000 I believe. It's terribly hard to grieve for the loss of lives when the tension has risen so high. All I can ever do is worry about when the next bombardment will be. The South suffered a very great loss. War spirit has been shattered within our sparse, injured troops. The Union seized the Mississippi River and effectively cut the Southern states in half. Those damn Unionists know what they are doing, so now we have to restrategize and reposition our forces. I will keep you updated, so please respond back whenever you might have the time. Next time, I might write a letter to Mary. I know she misses having me around to cook for her. Hopefully, you and Mary stay safe, Father. I miss you dearly. I give both you and Mary my best regards.

Sincerely,
William Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment