Sunday, April 8, 2018

1861 Blog-Orlin Kist (Sloan Miers)

Hardtack Recipe:
- 4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of water
Method:
  1. Pour all 4 cups of whole wheat flour into a large mixing bowl and preheat the oven to 375 degrees 
  2. Start adding the water in very slowly and mix while doing this 
  3. Add water until you get a play-dough like texture 
  4. Then take out the dough and roll it with a rolling pin until it is about 1/2 inch thick 
  5. Next take a pizza slicer and and slice the dough into 3 by 3 inch squares 
  6. Place the squares on an un-greased pan about an inch apart
  7. Poke holes in the squares so they can realise moisture while baking 
  8.  Bake the squares for 30 mins on one side then flip them over and bake for 30 mins the other side 
  9. When done baking take the crackers out, let them cool, and enjoy your delicious hardtack! 
I really miss my wife Cornelia's cooking. She used to make me delicious warm cookies and amazing apple pies. Now all I get to eat is this nasty "cracker" they call hardtack. It is only made with flour and water and has absolutely no taste. Hardtack is also as hard as a rock. It has broken 5 of my teeth. Before I eat the cracker a have to soak it in water so it gets a tiny bit softer so I don't break anymore of my teeth. Sometimes even worms crawl in the hardtack and it is gross. I would do anything to taste my wife's cooking right now.

Orlin Kist

No comments:

Post a Comment