Tuesday, April 17, 2018

1862 Blog-Orlin Kist (Sloan Miers)

Dear Sweet Cornelia,

Life in the war is hard. Day after day I hear the report on casualties and the number seems to be climbing. I am praying to the good Lord above that I do not become a casualty of this war. Battles are getting tougher and bloodier but I am still holding out. People are dropping like flies not only from the battles but from illnesses like dysentery. Oh how I miss your delicious cooking. The only thing they give us to eat is a nasty biscuit called hard tack. It breaks my teeth and has absolutely no taste at all. As of right now my rank is private but i am hoping to soon get promoted to a corporal. One of the only things that seems to keep our spirits up is listing to the song Dixie. It is just one of the best songs I have ever herd. Yesterday I herd news that 3 men deserted their post and were put to death. Lord knows I would never do that. Drills are getting progressively harder but I am making it through. I cannot wait to finish this war and come home to you and the kids. Stay strong for me.
Yours truly,
Orlin 

No comments:

Post a Comment