Wednesday, April 25, 2018

1864 Blog-Orlin Kist (Sloan Miers)

Dear Sweet Cornelia,

A lot has happend since I last wrote you. The war has become even more mentally and emotionally draining than it ever has been. For one moral in our regiment has gotten very low due the the reports of the massive amount of casualties on the battle field. The Union's tactics just seem to be getting better and better along with every new general. I have been doing the best I can trying to keep my spirits up. I just can not wait to get home to you and you delicious cooking. As I stated in my last letter all they are feeding us are nasty meal rations like hardtack but we have recently been introduced  to a slightly better one called salt pork. It is basically pork with extra salt to keep it from going bad. It's the best thing they have feed us so far but it doesn't even compare to your warm apple pie. Send my apologies to John and his family regarding their destroyed plantation. I am absolutely furious that the yanks think they can march through Georgia and steal from plantations then burn them. I must go now but I miss you and the kids so very much. Give them each a hug for me.

Sincerely,
Orlin

No comments:

Post a Comment