Wednesday, April 25, 2018

1864 blog- Fitzhugh Pettigrew (Kyle Z)

 Sausage & Apples

Ingredients:

- 1 pound of sausage meat

- butter

- 3 apples

- ½ cup brown sugar

- tablespoon of cinnamon

This old Virginia dish is easy and delicious. Start with about a pound of sausage meat. Form into patties and fry lightly in a pan until just browned. Remove the sausage, pour out the fat (not in the fire) and melt some butter in the pan, enough to barely cover the bottom. Core and slice three apples to a thickness of about 1/4 inch and place in pan setting it over a low heat. When apples have softened slightly add a half cup of brown sugar and a tablespoon of cinnamon. As soon as the sugar has mixed with the butter and formed a thick syrup add back the sausage and cook for another ten minutes or so. 



The food here is not the best. I can’t wait until the Confederates win the war. I miss the cooking of my wife Sally. This is the one meal that I think is best. Sally’s cooking is way better than this but it will have to do for now. It is simple but I like it enough for it to last me till the end of the war. 

No comments:

Post a Comment