Sunday, April 8, 2018

1861 Blog - George Otott IV (Lynn)

JULY 16, 1861

My duty in this battle had been established. 
All the soldiers woke up to the sound of our General Beauregard's (who has been an inspiration) voice. He had intentions, march Confederates to the north, and we had one day to practice our drill. How did we know of the Union's strategy? A spy returned to alert us, bringing us to Manassas.
The Federates, so cocky that not ALL of the men were even there, were doomed for catastrophe. General Beauregard deployed us along the Bull Run Creek, where the Union troops encountered us on the left. All I noticed were fools in smoke on top of each other. General Thomas Jackson led a tenacious brigade, allowing us to maintain the Union longer and for General Beauregard to counter attack. I heard the motor of trains afar, horses galloping towards us, rifles discharging, deafening screams from our side. Suddenly, the color of gray vanished from my sight, the fight had gone along with them.
I scout the area for death count, where there were too many bodies which left me mournful, what if this war grows? What if this war reaches my children? Is this our fate for eternity, blood? 
I return nonetheless, to celebration in our camps. We all praised for General "Stonewall" Jackson(apparently that's what we call him now) and General Beauregard for our path to our lives again! God bless us

No comments:

Post a Comment